I somehow managed to get my 250,000 mile Chrysler Voyager diesel by way of Germany’s arduous TÜV inspection, but that did not imply the van was completely ready for a extended European road journey. I nonetheless experienced a serpentine belt to swap, and I desired to put in a new h2o pump just to be risk-free. This really should have been easy, but as a substitute, it was by much the most tricky position to day.
Acquire a appear at the photo above, which shows the again aspect of my motor as seen from behind, just earlier mentioned the front suspension subframe. If it’s not clear what the problem is, let me to clarify: The pulley is trapped on the h2o pump because of to two Allen bolts that I—in my infinite wisdom—stripped. With the pulley in place, striving to take away the pump resulted in the pulley hitting the van’s unibody rail (a portion of the body) just before the impeller could very clear the pump shroud/housing. In other text, since of the irremovable pulley, the pump was essentially caught among the motor and the body.
To resolve this, I experienced to take away the shroud, which was held to the back of the motor block via 4 studs. In addition, I experienced to undo the 3 Allen bolts keeping a coolant pipe to the again of the shroud, moreover there was a little hose going specifically into the shroud, so I had to take away a hose clamp.
This all appears effortless, besides entry was horrible.
The two nuts on the lessen studs holding the shroud to the block were being no dilemma. They have been off in a subject of seconds. The higher nuts, which you can not even see in the image previously mentioned, in all probability just about every reduced my lifetime expectancy by three years. They were a true pain in my Arsch to arrive at to the place exactly where I in fact wound up with a sore again for times owing to me twisting myself into a pretzel.
Eliminating the hose and hose clamp from the shroud wasn’t a big deal, but the forwardmost Allen bolt keeping the pipe to the back of the shroud was terrible, requiring me to snake my hand amongst the block and coolant pipe. My fingers bought banged up, my back again was hurting from standing underneath this auto on a hoist, I was worn out, and I was chilly.
All since I wanted to switch, as a precaution, a drinking water pump that finished up remaining in completely high-quality condition.
After I experienced the pump shroud off, I was able to get the pump and the accessory-drive bracket out of the motor bay and on to my workbench. I then lathered some silicon gasket-maker onto my new pump and shroud (I’d scratched the aged shroud’s gasket surface area for the duration of the extraction, so a new one particular seemed like a intelligent concept), and bolted the assembly to the again of the engine.
I then took the pulley off the old pump by using vice grips, and set up the accent bracket and pulley on to the new element using a few new fasteners.
Factors have been on the lookout up, right until I attempted setting up my two serpentine belts. The to start with 1 demanded me to use a press to squeeze my tensioner. Although in the compressed situation on the press, I tightened some zipties all-around the tensioner to continue to keep it in its smallest point out so that I could bolt it up to my accent drive.
This was particularly complicated, as that tensioner just would make so much tensile-power, and with my new belt getting a bit shorter than the outdated 1, even the entirely-compressed tensioner appeared a little bit far too long. I had to power the tensioner into situation employing the leverage of a pry bar. It took me hrs, and I may well have cross-threaded a bolt. But it seems to hold, so I’m satisfied.
But the struggles did not prevent there. The belt for my electrical power steering pump appeared a bit brief, as well. No make any difference how significantly I loosened the tensioner (for this belt, there was just a basic mechanical tensioner bolt rather of a hydraulic tensioner), that belt would not slip below the new loafer pulley (see above). To get the belt underneath the pulley, I tied 4 zipties all around the belt, and hung my complete bodyweight off of them. The zipties snapped, but it was sufficient to get the belt primarily all around the pulley. Turning the engine’s crankshaft pulley with a wrench a couple of occasions brought the belt thoroughly into its proper place.
From there, I just buttoned almost everything up and altered the belt tension. It looks a bit tight, but not as well negative.
This water pump and accent belt work was much extra complicated than it should really have been, but this work—along with all the other perform I’ve completed on this van—is all the far more reason to push the wheels off this device.
In any case, I know I’m not the only one particular who has dealt with a tough wrenching predicament. Chat me via a wrenching work that kicked your butt. Truly feel totally free to submit photos in the responses.